Thursday, February 4, 2010

About the Dogs in my life

How many of you, after reading the heading, thought this post is about my sister? I agree man is an animal (a few believe that even women are animals), but, I am in no way referring to her here.

Guess I should start with our first pet – Sandy. Don’t remember much about her, but I do remember her greeting guests by getting onto 2 legs and folding her hands, as though doing Namaste. Our dad not only managed to imbibe manners in us but also in Sandy. She was succeeded by Toffee, Pepsi, Tuesy and now Mishti. Our family is a dog lover family. Or should I say, they are “forced” dog lovers. I remember the first time Abhishek got me Mishti, this small little ball of fur who cudn’t even walk two steps without slipping, yet would try jumping off the basket she came in. When I took the basket to mama, she thought mishit was very cute, and asked me whose dog was it. I told her, it’s ours and that’s when the first blast came.

The series of explosions continued for about 4-5 months, where dad also suggested we should take her to the sai baba temple and leave her there. Somehow, it’s a very common phenomenon in Indian families, leave any unwanted child/ animal at the door steps of God and let him handle. Apparently, that’s where my parents found me too. Whenever, I misbehaved, my mom would threaten me to leave me back at the same temple where she found me. I was a smart child and gave it back to her once, “Ok, I’ll go where you found me from. Only the gold chain and bangles that I came with, return them to me”. Somehow, after that, this topic never came up.

Coming back to the topic “My parents being Dog lovers”, are now so fond of Mishti that now they don’t miss their own blood so much, since they always have Mishti around. This is how a usual conversation takes place at our home:

Me: Ma, I am coming home

Mom: Why, you just came 2 months back. At least give us some time to miss you

Ma: It’s been 4 months I was home

Mom: Oh! It’s been that long? Yeah, yeah, come down. Mishti’s stock of Chews, Shampoo, conditioner, and biscuits is almost over. Get the ones you got last time.

Now I am headed back home on 10th. My first bit of shopping would be for Mishti Jamwal and then for the rest of the family. I cant risk it!!!

5 comments:

rajoojamwal said...

Oh r u coming on 10th????????????? Do get the stuff for Mishti as u have written. SHE will feel nice --- whether u feel nice about the weight u carry is immaterial--Mishti should feel nice!!!! Soes that satisfy u? Nice blog but let me assure u we miss u & Shanoo more than we miss Mishti---I hope I am right!!!!!!!!!!

Deepaish pall said...

hehe looks someone is having an inferiority complex....
good one dj loved it and do listen to uncle noW!!!
hehehe.....

ashish@greatwhitenorth said...

There could be some truth in the 'temple and you' connection mentioned here ......... after all, what are the chances of a "multI-talented" person like you being born naturally!! (No pun intended!) :)

Jyoti Tiwari said...

Completely agree with ashish......:-)

provoqd said...

Oh god...lots of animal talk happening here...:). Few points worth mentioning here:
a) thru paras 1,3,4 we get a lot of examples of both personification & zoomorphism...(gulp) :)
b) ur love for ur dogs is evident in the fact that u actually devoted a Gmail id to ur dog's name....:)

Nice going...keep up ur posts...:p