Tuesday, February 9, 2010

That's how I gain points

My mom is here in Ahmdabad giving me company. As much as I love her, I can not over look the ‘cleanliness freak’ and ‘organized’ her. Even before she was to arrive, I got up early and started cleaning my apartment. Trishna (my room mate) was so puzzled to see me cleaning that she thought I am under some sedatives and not realizing what I am upto. Else, which other person would puff the same cusions over n over again?

So while I was running at the station looking for my mom, I got a call from her telling me that she’s waiting at platform number 1. My heart pumped faster and I knew this wasn’t a good sign. She had reached before I did. That was minus one in her books.

From afar, I counted the pieces of luggage she had… there were 6 in all… not including her.

“I thought you will be leaving in a week’s time?” I asked.

“I’ll see how you’ve been managing uptil now and will decide accordingly”. She has a way about her that forces you to keep quite for at least ten minutes after she delivers a sentence, lest you kindle an erupting volcano. I kept quite.

In life there are moments when you gain points by arguing (like in a Placement Group Discussion) and there are moments in life when you gain points by keeping quite. I kept quite.

We reached auto rikshaw stand where drivers pounded on our luggage like it was their’s and started to yell “kahan jana hai” (where do you wanna go)? To avoid any more scenes, I quickly blurted “Manav Mandir Jaan hai”. Everybody then, started quoting prices. The scene was no less than a bid process, only difference being, here they couldn’t bribe us.

I pointed to a driver who had quoted the least and said “80 rupees theek hain.”
“What 80 rupees? Are you crazy?” I am not good in math so could only do a rough head- count to the number of people who turned their heads to see us…. Some 87 of them. Mind you, no one from her reaction could tell that she’s come to Ahmedabad for the first time. :-)

Somehow we managed to reach home and she saw my clean apartment. I can’t say much from her reaction but I think she liked it. I can say that coz she puffed (my already puffed) cusions only once. Dad will be arriving soon. I gotto plan to gain points there as well.

6 comments:

ashish@greatwhitenorth said...

I faintly remember giving 120 to the guy who took me! Are you gangs with the auto wallahs in Ahmedabad? Cause you (& that driver) certainly swindled me there!!!! Considering you were two with 6 pieces of luggage and still 80 was your starting point!! ..... Damn I feel cheated!

Saima said...

Are waah !!!

Tu to sudher gayi yaar...

Auntie to khush ho gayi ho gi...
and you cleaned your room due to auntie's visit to your place and getting some points from her; but if you become cleanliness freak forever then think about the points you will be getting...infinite...

Deepaish pall said...

good you cleaned you room you wont get to do it quite a lot after some time if you know what i mean... you will be having someone who will be doing that dirty work for you''

hehe....

Aarti Durvasula said...

Sigh. Quite is not the word. Quiet is the word. At 24?? :P

Sorry couldn't resist. :P :D

Deepali Jamwal said...

@ashish: are u still cribbing about your 20 rupees?

@Saima: Aunty is full to fida now

@Deepaish: Yeah, I've been very lucky wid that...

@aarti: hahahaha! had to go back and check out wat u wer talking abt.. plz keep visiting regularly n spell checking. :-)

rajoojamwal said...

Hi sweetheart,
I am sure ur mom is equally worried about making her points with u. And what do u mean u kept quite, did u mean quiet???????? I presume so. By the way when I got there, ur room was not all that clean. Did ur mom dirty it!!!!!!!!
Love u