Friday, July 20, 2012

Proud Daughters!

I know I don’t need a space on web to pen down my sentiments on this topic, since those who know me, are not unaware of the fact of how proud I am of my dad. I probably have “My Dad bestest” written all over me.

But since this is a special occasion and I needed a reason to move on to a happy post after my last one, here I am YET again boasting and bragging about my dad J

I don’t remember when he first held me or when I first called out to him, I don’t even remember the first time he walked me; but what I do remember is; that for as long as I’ve known my dad, I’ve seen and associated him with his crisp clean uniform, perfect posture and a commanding voice. He was, he is and will always be an Indian Army officer for me.

In our growing years, we all have different dreams that grow as we do. When I was 10, I wanted to be a postman (For some reason I thought postman has the leverage of reading other’s letters and keep the ones he likes). I wanted to grow up to be a postman, until I read the story of an ice-cream vendor. He always delivered more than ice-creams to children, he delivered “Joy”. Nothing at that time would have impressed me more than that ice-cream vendor and I wanted to be just like him. Soon after, I saw these beauty queens winning titles for our country one after the other, making national news. I’ve always wanted to be famous and this seemed to be the easiest way. I wanted to be Miss Universe. And then an air hostess because they got to travel the world, followed by an engine driver (don’t remember the fascination behind that). When seriousness kicked in, I wanted to be an IT professional, but soon realized how boring that sounded (I didn’t want people to know me as Deepali Jamwal, the IT professional, “poor girl, she used to be fun”) and then I wanted to be a wedding planner and so on….

Well, this post isn’t to confess my confused personality, but only to exemplify how our dreams alter with age, but my dad has always had only One dream. To serve his nation.

Now; I wasn’t around to witness this, but I’ve heard enough, that I firmly believe it to be true. The confident person that my dad was, he knew he was going to make it into the armed forces even before he had given his exams. So much so, that he never really bothered attending his college until NDA (National Defence Academy), and also dragged his friends (who weren’t going to make it into the Army later) along with him to bunk classes and watch movies. The stories that I get to hear from his friends make me wonder, “Then why does he get annoyed at our mischief?”

This is how confident my dad was of making into the Army. He knew no other profession. I can’t imagine the degree of ecstasy and bliss that my dad must have experienced when he got commissioned into the Army. He had fulfilled not only his own, but also his father’s dream. Second Lieutenant Raj Singh Jamwal.

Second Lieutenant to Lieutenant to Captain to Major to Lt Colonel to Colonel to Brigadier. It has been a long journey for my dad.

Ever since the day he commissioned as an army officer, his rank has been his prized possession. He has earned each of these ranks in lieu of his hard work, dedication and a million sacrifices. No one can take his rank away from him. I mean NO ONE. I remember the first time Ashish called him “Mr. Jamwal”, and the 20 minute lecture that followed. He is and will always be “Brig Jamwal” J

Like any other Army kid, we hadn’t seen much of our dad in our growing up years either (except for the picture that my Mom frequently showed us to ensure we knew what he looked like and don’t accidently call him “uncle” when he visited). He wasn’t there to attend our PTAs, he wasn’t there in our annual school functions, and he had never met my best friend and probably didn’t even know my favorite subjects. My mom was the hero who managed it all single handedly, for the longest time. I still have all the letters he wrote to me until I was 6, and it makes my eye teary to recognize the plight of a father who got to see their kids grow old only through letters. One of his letters is still clear in my memory (maybe because I just read it a few months back ;)); it read, “Hi Sweetheart, I heard that you have started writing and I am extremely excited about it. Your mother tells me that you are doing very well in school as well. I am so proud of you and I’ll come to see you soon.”

Such times came frequently in our lives when we had to live away from our dad and it wasn’t fun. But our mom made it an exciting experience every time our dad came home. We used to welcome him with delicious delights, handmade cards, decorated and lit up house. It was a festival every time he visited. I remember saving all the fire crackers from Diwali only so we can burst them with dad when he gets home.

(For all those ignorant people out there, think twice before calling us “Army Brats”)

The first image that you get of my dad is “a strict and commanding army officer” and the second image would be, “Fun and extremely loving”. He exemplifies a coconut aptly. Hard on the outside, soft from the interiors.  

I can never forget the day, we sat in my Dad’s office while he was wrapping up his work. He ordered to see the sepoy who had left for home without any notice. Two men walked inside the door. One stood confident and the other was shivering and almost in tears. It wasn’t hard to guess who amongst the two the offender was. The moment my dad opened his mouth to grill him, the poor sepoy pissed in his pants. We all sat there in amusement as we had never seen something like this before. A grown up army man, wetting his pants J. That is how much people dreaded my dad. But on the other hand, they cherished him, appreciated him and took pleasure in his company.

The day my dad left his unit, his first love (8 JAK RIF), there was weeping, and howling. His men adored and worshiped him for all the affection he had showered on them despite being the strictest person they had ever seen.

May dad is a fun person. The day our unit got their new vehicles (3 ton trucks); he wanted to try them out himself and took the driver seat. He drove the truck all over the area and then decided to bring the truck onto the cricket field where a match was in progress. This left everyone astonished. While all the men were surprised by the courage this driver had displayed, all the women went thinking, “What a handsome driver” ;)

He is a sportsman. Even today when he sets foot in the squash court, many youngsters are put to shame. Be it squash, tennis, badminton or swimming; I’m yet to find a competition for my dad.

As he picked a higher rank, the security around him got thicker. It was difficult to spot him without armed men surrounding him. I remember the days when he came to receive us at the railway station with all those men dressed in crisp uniforms and loaded guns, around him. We always caught all the eyeballs at the station. Clueless of what to do, my sister and I occasionally waived at the crowd staring at us J. Yeah! We knew how to have fun at his expense J

To avoid any kind of embarrassment, I had asked him to park his vehicle at least 2 blocks away from my office building, when he came to visit me. Yet a few of my colleagues saw me getting out of his flagged – starred car and kept asking me, “Who are you?”

It sometimes amazes me to see a person so authoritative, and commanding; awaiting his wife’s afternoon nap so he can set out on a chocolate hunt. That’s right, he is a Brigadier in the Army, but my mom is the commander at home J. It’s fun to watch them fight over TV remote, it’s fun when we all gang up to tickle him, it’s fun to hear him complain about mom for waking him up early, it’s fun to listen to his never ending childhood stories. It’s Fun being around him J

Even though he retires from the Army today, for us he will always be the best Man, Army has ever had. Brig RS Jamwal.

A salute to my dad for serving his country unflinchingly and gallantly, for all these years. We have always looked up to you. And even louder salutes to my mom, for simply being an Army wife. I know you’ve had it tough mom and we certainly didn’t make your life easier for you. You both ROCK!




1 comment:

rajoojamwal said...

Well written beta. As usual a humorous but a sentimental sentimental post. Love u all a lot.