Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Feeling High

I have been promoted to a Senior Officer. To many, its not a big deal since it is bound to happen after 6 months of your joining. Anybody who sticks around for 6 months and performs just about okay becomes a Senior Officer. But it is a big deal for me because I know I have done a good job. My performance Appraisal form is full of praises for me. (Not that I am boasting or anything) I got an overall FE(Far beyond Expectation) rating . Before joining everybody had warned me “Corporate world is scary, people will try to pull you down, no one helps anybody, and everyone is for themselves, especially in Mumbai its difficult coz of the cut throat competition, blah blah blah…” I was scared. Never wanting to join the corporate world and always cribbing why I couldn’t be a choreographer.

But I survived. Not only did I survive, I am “FE”… I have a perfect job, perfect Boss, perfect Colleagues, and perfect work environment. After school I never thought I could have so much fun anywhere else but now I am having lots of fun at work.

People have this notion in their immature minds that workplaces are scary, and have made a prejudice that work is to earn money so that we can spend that money with our families in the time we are not at work. To counter this, how much time do u get to spend with your family anyways? Most of the time you are in office slogging like a donkey and thinking of ways to impress your boss and make him believe that no one else is better than you. By the time you get back home you are too tired of all day thinking of how you can pull the other person down and get promoted, or simply making more business and want to relax. So when do you spend and enjoy all the money that you have earned?

Wouldn’t it be a better option to enjoy work like you enjoyed school? Help each other with work like u helped each other with studies? Help each other in meeting targets like you helped each other in assignments? Take out time for each other, Gossip, share secrets, laugh, Make fun people wearing funny dresses to office and at the same time work hard. Go to office on time and leave on time so that you have time to spare for your gym, music, hobby, etc. (Trust me office time is more than sufficient to complete your work, which is why they have dedicated 9 hours for it). But while you are in office give your 100% to work and in the tini mini breaks socialize with your colleagues.

I know, just one promotion doesn’t give me the right to give advices, but I am just too happy and wanted to share what I do to balance my social and work life. And I am glad that I am able to manage and give time to every important aspect of my life (or maybe because at this level I am not burdened with pile of work?)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

First! Congratulation to you for the promotion.Ofcourse its a big deal for someone who just sits and disturbs everyone around and then gets to the next level.But I wasn't talkin about you Deepali! got you ;).On a serious note you really a hard worker and deserve it 101% so enjoy it and remember the only key to your next level is taking bigger breaks,louder laughs(get noticed),longer gossips,etc.you know all that.hehe.JUst make sure about thing- "its got to be you will then you will see a change".i appreciate your writing skill.when are you publishing all this and sending me a copy!!!!!

Unknown said...

Might hav heard this... The world is a mirror and reflects the moods incident on it... I believe its true with u... Its v who make d world around us charming n cool... I'll say if the blah..blah..blah.. u hav mentioned remains blah..blah..blah.. and still doesn't affect u, its cool.. Normally what happens is u'll b forced to accept it as a reality, coz everyone does it.. Too much of psychology.. Sorry... Anyways congrats for the FE rating n not for the promotion, coz its not a promotion... Got full rights to comment on promotion being in the same organization...

Huzefa Chhapiwala said...

wow!good job. every thing is going ur way what else do u need in life. where is my the party?