Thursday, December 4, 2008

back to Mother earth

“I can finally buy gifts for my parents without borrowing money from them”, was my first thought when I got placed. Even when the HR was talking to me and congratulating me, I couldn’t help but think of all the people I need to tell this to. I wanted to storm out of the room and call up my parents first.

The next thought was the money. In the placement room itself, with the panelists explaining us the pay structure, I was making my own calculations. “What will I do with so much money?” Where I live comfortably with Rs 3,000 a month, what will I do with the remaining 35,000/-. Even if I watch a movie every day, it will just sum up to some 3000 bucks. What will I do with the remaining? I will buy all that luxury for my parents and sister that I have always thought of. I will give it all to my sister and give a part of it to my parents, not for their daily needs, but to spend it on themselves (like the super rich people do). I suddenly felt rich.

1 month after work, when I got my first salary, I lived like a queen. I could now go to any showroom (no matter how expensive it is), I could now eat anywhere (not bothering about the prices), I could buy the cosmetics which I have always wanted to. I bought mama a diamond nose pin, went home and bought loads of gifts for Bapu, Mishti, 2 helper Bhaiyas at home. I spent like crazy. I felt rich.

Now, after 6 months of work, I am back to normal. With the LIC Policy, Hostel fees, Rentals, Commuting expenses, Hospital bills, Food, Gifts, at the end of the day I am all bankrupt. I haven’t been able to save enough money to even buy myself a phone. Now I wonder how I managed with just 3,000 a month where as now I am not even able to manage with 35,000 a month. Now I want more money. I guess this is what everybody goes through before they learn how to save.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think its a great thought of you expressing your feeling.Describing your start,your first day, saving to buy a phone and then blowing on diamonds.WOW! impressed.what about cosmetics huh? kidding.so you rich princess already or going to be one soon.all the best!I love it.Beautiful!claps please.

shifali said...

You should start NOW! I know even now you think, "let ma and Shanu come here, i'll buy them stuff". SAVINGS are like the second thing that should come to your mind, first being, "giving it all to shanu" (which would in turn mean saving it). so yeah. start now. n soon enough, you'll be rich enough to buy 'lots of diamond rings' =)

Love u!

Srikanth said...

35 grand sounds like a fortune from where I am sitting. Imagine my situation, I earn half as much as you do.

Staying with parents does cut costs a bit but I am still bankrupt before I even get my pay for the month.. :P