Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I Confess!

I don’t remember when I first saw rain. And since I don’t remember, why don’t we make up a story? So it was year 1987 and I was a 2 year old child fed on a high dose of cerelac. After a heavy meal, I was relaxing my head on our dog (Sandy) when we heard a sudden commotion in the family. Sandy would wait for such opportunities so he could show off his skills, jump off the bed, run as fast as a cheetah to the commotion site and bark at everyone in sight till my dad fed him a dog biscuit.

“Stupid Dog”, I muttered under my breath and looked outside. My mom ran upstairs to pick up the clothes drying outside and my dad ran towards me followed by Sandy. He was coming too fast for me that I just closed my eyes and said my last prayers. Next minute I was sitting on his shoulders and we were running outside. Sandy was enjoying all the action and was smiling ear to ear. :)

Sitting on my father’s shoulders I felt the first drops of rain on my face. It was heavenly. If only my dad wudn’t have tossed me in the air and gotten me all wet and sick, I would have enjoyed the moment better.

I confess that I love rainy days. You are probably saying, finally this psycho loves something else beyond herself.

I love the tea that forms on road (muddy water created on kuccha road). The imaginative me have always tried to find faces and shapes in the tea. Next time you see muddy water on the road, imagine it to be tea. You will sometimes even see the malai floating. After a car passes by, for sometime the muddy water will resemble a chocolate milk shake.

Over the years, my affinity towards rain has been motivated – for different reasons. When I was in class five in St Joseph’s, Pathankot …the school would submerge (not fully but at least a foot deep) after an hour’s rain. This meant leave for two days….now don’t blame me for loving rain.

As I grew my reasons changed. When in tenth, I loved going to school on rainy days….because half the class wouldn’t have turned up and the teachers dare not teach. Since I was a Complan girl, I never fell sick. Some of the teachers would be absent. I still remember a sleeping teacher sitting in front even as we spent the 45 minute periods talking our way to glory.

When in college, it provided us with an excellent excuse to come late or bunk classes. In Secunderabad, traffic depends on seasons. There are two seasons – the seasons to ride (Summer) and the season to drive (Rainy). Purists believe there is one more season – the season to sit at home.

Now, I love rains for the fringe benefits. I don’t have to wash my balcony. Tomorrow I am going to take an off from work because I am going to fall sick… courtesy rain (no one in my office knows that I am a Complan girl)

Sorry…we stop this because it is already sounding like an autobiography.
Signing off :)

2 comments:

rajoojamwal said...

Good imagination sweetheart and a nice post---I wonder why no comments from others.

provoqd said...

Well first of all, it does actually sound like an autobiography :) For the same reasons, it is recommended that you start writing another blog, covering your entire life :D
I must say the highlight of this post was the subtle but very creative comparison of tea with the muddy water. It seems you have studied them thoroughly. Thats actually good, because this shows that you have used the waiting time @ traffic jams in Mumbai productively :):):)
All in all a nice read.
P.S.- waiting for the next blog for reasons mentioned above(atleast from the point when the memories started to get recorded in ur mind :D)