Friday, August 20, 2010

Celebrating B'days in Style!!!

Yeah! Yeah! I am gonna be a year older in another 14 days 15 hours and 10 mins (not that I am obsessed) :) I have always loved my b’days. Be it for the gifts that I am usually loaded with or be it getting phone calls and birthday wishes that makes me feel important or be it the fact that I am wiser by another year. (Dunno how many of you would agree with that ;))

One of the best b’days I have ever celebrated was when I turned 18 (I am not telling you how long back was that, to avoid weakening of my fan following ;)).

The clock just struck 12 when Abhishek, Dujon, Huzefa, Vincent, Benny and Sanam rang my bell. I won’t say I was surprised coz they planned this while passing notes to each other in French class VIA me. But I sure did act surprised. They got me a huge basket fruit cake. While I cut that, my mom brought me another cake from the kitchen which she had been trying to hide from me all day long. I was overwhelmed with their gesture.

We celebrated for a while before I started getting phone calls and they decided to disperse. As I walked them to the gate, another group of friends (Rohit and gang) came in with a HUGE cake and even gigantic teddy bear. It was so huge that Rohit, being the small and skinny guy he was, couldn’t even wrap his arms around it and couldn’t wait to hand it over to me. There we go, my turn to cut my 3rd b’day cake for the day. Now I understand why the man behind the counter said in disappointment “Oh no, not again!” when Sanam asked him to bake a cake with “Deepali” written on it.

Next morning I woke up with a smile and total satisfaction. Simle, because it was my b’day after 365 days and satisfaction, because my sister wasn’t around, so all the cakes in fridge were only and only meant to be consumed by me. :) I got dressed in my new pair of jeans and t-shirt, prayed to god (mom would never let us leave the house without praying), ate cake for breakfast and left for college, where Abhishek along with Huzefa, Dujon, Vincent, Benny, Sanam, Bunty, Ram, Ashok, Luis, Varun, Kiran, Anthony, John, Kshama, Rishi and a few others whose names I can’t remember (such a shame, because they were amongst my best friends too) were waiting outside on their bikes and cars. They hijacked me and took me to Ocean Park (Water kingdom of Secunderabad). There I cut my 4th B’day cake inside water. I remember, we had to pay extra fine for creating a mess and later were thrown out for not letting other visitors enjoy any rides. I ask, is it wrong to push people down the slides when they are stuck in the middle? (I was just trying to help).

But anyways, we moved out from there to a farm house for lunch, where we hogged like crazy since all of us were tired after all the activity. That’s where I was presented with the 5th cake of the day. This day was just getting better with every passing moment. Beyond 5 O’clock, my dearest mother starts getting concerned. She began to call me every five minutes and I had to push off for home.

When I landed home, my room was all decorated and was full with all the gifts wrapped in nice shimmery papers. It was such a beautiful sight that I never wanted to unwrap the gifts. :) That was the most fun birthday I’ve ever celebrated.
I know I have grown up since then and have no friends around here (in Ahmedabad) to celebrate my b’day with. But I still look forward for the day and for all the phone calls and birthday wishes I receive. If you are a close friend and reading this, here’s a tip: please sms me or call me, but don’t wish me on facebook. I think that’s the most impersonal way to wish.

Signing off :)

Oh BTW, another hour gone by

3 comments:

ashish@greatwhitenorth said...

This one's special as well...isn't it? For you have me in your life this time!! :)
Here's wishing you a very happy birthday in advance! Hope you enjoy it like you have, always.

Deepaish pall said...

yar i so wanna be there:-(

rajoojamwal said...

So mean Paloo, u were happy since ur sister was not around!!!!!!!!!!! I know u r just joking---isnt it???????????