Tuesday, March 31, 2009

When mind wonders

My boss: “Deepali, please complete the PPT before leaving for the day”

My mind: “Sure sir.

PPT is no big deal, I have made a million of them during my MBA days.

Ah! MBA days. Those late night movies and sleeping throughout the lectures.

No wonder, the teachers didn’t like me much.

School was better. I was a “Teachers’ pet”. They all loved me.

I loved going to school. I had 100% attendance in school. (Or was it because I preferred it to staying at home and listening to a yelling mom)

C’mon, at that age, everybody tends to think that their parents scold them coz they are just too boring. Somehow we always think that our parents were never kids and didn’t have a life.

Its only when we go through their photo album and old accessories (By that I mean bikes, huge driving glasses, funky bell bottoms, polka dots T-shirts, embroidery sweaters, etc.) and when we meet their old pals, who often tell us how fun our parents were, that we realize, all the scolding is out of sheer jealousy since they aren’t kids anymore.

By the time we realize, that our parents actually had good intentions behind their behavior and didn’t want us to make the same mistakes they have, we have grown up and are already away from them.

Now we miss them so much. We miss the, once upon a time, hated food. We miss being pampered and fed by mom. We miss being forced to drink milk early morning. We miss being called up a million times, while we were away for only an hour, to ask “when are you coming home?” We miss those nagging “Please clean up you room” (Why is it necessary to clean your room? Why should you keep your clothes in your cupboard, when you know you are gonna wear it the next day? So wouldn’t it be better to keep it lying on the floor. )

We miss those waiting-for-parents-to-sleep-so-we-can-talk-over-the-phone days.

I wonder how could I possibly talk to Sanam over the phone for hours together. When now, I don’t remember making a telephonic conversation with anybody for more than 30 minutes… okay 1 hour…. C’mon not more than 2 hours.

But there are surely times when I prefer not to carry my phone with me, or I rather switch it off. Though I sometimes wonder what life would be without a phone. How the hell will I keep in touch with my friends?

Ohhh… that’s why they had letters…

That’s why they made us write and practice writing letters in school. But why on earth would you follow a format while writing a letter to your friends. Who writes:

To

Abhishek Gupta

Andheri

From

Deepali Jamwal

Colaba

Date: March 31, 2009

Dear Friend,

……..

Yours truly

Deepali

There were many subjects in school which were pointless. Like …… *My Boss Interrupts* “Aren’t you going for lunch?”

My mind: “Oops!!! Its already half day. I must come back and finish my work if I want to leave on time. If I don’t leave on time, I wont be able to make it on time for my dance class…..”

And it goes on….

3 comments:

Srikanth said...

I had a terrible time writting those letters during exams in school..

Interesting post..

Oh And!! Go read my blog.. there's a new post..

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
rajoojamwal said...

I am glad u realise that all the scolding u got when u were in school was in good faith & meant for ur good. Of course u got a bit of baulking too from me a couple of times but that too WAS FOR UR GOOD. That is why u are such a well mannered & lovable child,---oops! young lady today. Love u.