Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Motherhood - a new perspective!!!

People say that motherhood changes your life. It’s one hundred percent true in my case. I am no longer the center of my own universe, most part of my day includes me staring at my baby’s face and not mine ;). I have discovered strengths that I didn’t know I had. I am now capable of holding an insect in my hand, if I ever saw it in the vicinity of my baby. I no longer dream about fancy dresses and candlelit dinners, all I care about is finding clean clothes to wear and having dinner before it gets cold. Most of all, motherhood has changed my perspective of life. I have a new found admiration for my mom.



I now feel the pain she must have gone through to bring me into this world and raise me. With a fractured tailbone and multiple stitches, I can now safely say that bringing a child into this world is the most difficult task I’ve ever done.
I wasn’t an easy kid by any means. I was sort of a rebellious teenager (some might think I still am ;)). However, she always made sure I had my breakfast on time, I was living in hygienic conditions (she has extremely high standards of cleanliness), my roommates weren’t a bunch of goons, and that I’ve been getting enough sleep at nights. She would call me 20 times a day, and if by any chance, I failed to answer her call once, she would probably think I’m dead and would start calling all my friends. It seemed silly back then, but now that I am a mother myself, I can understand her emotions. I am so much in love with my kiddo that I don’t want to be away from him for a single miniscule second. I want to protect him from every evil in this world. I am already scared for his future. I want him to be safe, healthy and always happy. From a rebellious teenager to being a mom, it has been one heck of a journey where my mom was a companion.



She was with me for 3 months to help me during the last leg of pregnancy and the beginning of the newest chapter of my life. She was my punching bag. We fought, we argued, we disagreed; but we laughed, we cared, we loved. If there is one person who would put her life on hold for me and my baby, it would be my mom. She would be the first to notice something amiss in her grandson. She would spend hours making healthy food for us. She would volunteer to give him a massage and a bath. She would be the one holding him in her arms for hours. She would always return home from her morning walks with a new outfit for her grandson. I think my son recognizes her more than me.

I respect her more today than ever. In fact, I have a new found respect for every mother in the world today because it amazes me how selfless and giving they are. Sure, fathers have a critical role to play in a child’s life, but the role of a mother is irreplaceable. They say, it takes 6 weeks to get back to normal after you’ve had your baby. But what they don’t understand is, after you become a mother, “normal” is history. My whole life has taken a U-turn. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, is the same as earlier. My sleep schedule, my social life, my favorite TV shows, my favorite food, my fascination of dressing up, my conversations, my fears, my strengths, my body, my thoughts…. Everything has changed. It feels like I am living someone else’s life in someone else’s body. Apart from a million physical changes, life around me has changed too, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I know it sounds cliché and I had never thought I would say it, but my baby’s toothless smile is worth all the stress, and fatigue.


I love you mom


2 comments:

rajoojamwal said...

Great blog again. But a little unjust to the fathers. Problem is men do not show their emotions as women do. No doubt mothers are great and bear the brunt but fathers act as mediators to pacify both sides

rajoojamwal said...

Great blog again. But a little unjust to the fathers. Problem is men do not show their emotions as women do. No doubt mothers are great and bear the brunt but fathers act as mediators to pacify both sides