Sunday, July 3, 2011

Near Death Experience!!!

Lately, my life has been so exciting, I could write a book and I bet it would be a best seller… “The Adventures of Deepali” (Tintin would be ashamed of himself after reading this).

Gone are the days when men were macho. Then they started coloring their hair… a few did the nail polish… some wore shirts with frills… and some got their ears pierced. As men were sucked into the lady’s domain, the average lady entered the macho world. Getting tickets for speeding, watching cricket, enjoying sci-fi action movies and bungee jumping.

I happened to try my hand at bungee jumping too. It has been on my “to-do” list ever since I knew I wanted to be an astronaut. And then I wanted to be a postman, then an engine driver and then Miss World. While my ambitions changed, Bungee Jump always topped my “to-do” list.

I don’t wanna be a jerk and scare you guys, but it is worse than it looks. I’d rather lie flat on railway tracks and die with a heart attack waiting for the train than jump from 215 ft leaving my life to the mercy of a mere rope.

While the staff was buckling me up and preparing me to jump, they tried their best to engross me in small talks. Maybe they smelled my fear and wanted to distract me so I don’t change my mind (or maybe they were concerned I would back out and ask for a refund), but all I could think of was, “who the hell, talked me into this?”

Standing at the edge of the cliff, I remembered how scared I was of heights. I remember that one time when my dad lifted me on his shoulders and I threw up (wonder why no one volunteered lifting me up after that?). All these scary thoughts were crossing my mind, I didn’t even make a final call to my parents, I haven’t embarrassed my sister enough, I am yet to witness Ashish and Mishti (for those who have been irregular to my blog, Mishti is my pet dog) bond.

When the staff was done with buckling me up, I realized, it was just a rope tied to my ankles. No life jacket, not parachute, not jumping with a professional. It was a free fall. Nothing to hold onto. “Why would anyone do such a thing?” “I can’t even jump off the diving board, I most certainly can’t do this”. I wasn’t even done making up my mind that they started their countdown. They didn’t listen to me when I wanted to chicken out.(Bloody bullies!) 5..4..3..2..1 and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa…….

I jumped. I remember the feeling. I was so scared that if I weren’t hanging upside down, I would have wet my pants. I almost had a near death experience. This was exactly the feeling that you sometimes dream of. That you are falling off the cliff, there is nothing to hold on to and now you are going to die. But luckily, the moment you fall, your mind gets alert and you wake up.

Unfortunately, this wasn’t a dream. I was sure this wasn’t, because I even slapped myself to wake up, but nothing worked. There was pretty much nothing I could do, so I screamed my lungs out. Like I have never screamed before. Hoping for a super man or a spider man (or even Krishh for that matter) to hear my dreadful screams and come flying to save me from the horror. But no one heard me, rather I heard my sadist husband laughing at my expense. I could even see the life guards laughing at me. They were stunned how a girl of my size could scream that loud. (Even I’ve got certain talents!!! )

Wow! That was some experience. Every time the rope bounced back, it got even more scarier and my screams kept getting louder. But I was happy it was over. One thing off my “to-do” list. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience (trust me, I’m never doing it again). Sky-diving’s next!

Those of you laughing at me, watch my video to have an even harder laugh!!!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol...the scream...was very scary!! :P I've got vertigo issues too!!!! I'm better off dealing with those in my drea...nah..nightmares!! :) You are brave...1+ !! ;)

ashish@greatwhitenorth said...

I applaud the attempt made to catch what really happened but your sadist husband was laughing with nervousness as well for I thought after hearing u scream we might be debarred from the place permanently for harming the ecological balance :) was a good sight none the less! :)

Abhijit said...

Lolzz...u wer sounding like a hindi film ki heroine der...bt shd hv bn an awesome experience..bt somehw it still hs d top spot in my 'to-do'list :)

Shilpa Malhotra said...

Now that must be QUITE an experience. Once you've been there done that, I am sure it's a sense of exhilaration.

Hey btw check this - http://adogspurpose.com/index.php?option=com_hotornot&task=show&id=1101&source=hotornot

Thanks again :)

Ajay Singh said...

Wished we could see your facial reactions too,the scream was good.

rajoojamwal said...

Nicely written post beta----I always knew you have taken on to me!!?!?! And now today 27 Aug 2012, with sky diving done and out of ur 'to do' list, WHAT NEXT? Love u