Thursday, October 8, 2009

Ritu's perfect family

I was always told that life changes after marriage. It was always emphasized that we lose our freedom, we tend to get irritated, there is continuous nagging and demanding, and we are expected to be more responsible. People also told me that they tend to eat more and gain weight after marriage (maybe out of depression).

But one thing they forgot to mention was “All the above is subject to conditions”.
When Ritu got married, all of us lost hopes. Our reactions were something like this “Today this has happened to her. Tomorrow, it’ll be our turn. No one will be able to escape”. “Spend as much time with her as possible; she won’t be the same after this anymore”. “She is a strong girl! She will be able to survive”.

After her Wedding Day, things changed. We didn’t speak to her often. She was not to be seen in any of the get togethers. We celebrated B’days without her. It was hard to believe that the, once- upon- a- time- party- girl is missing out on so much. “Maybe she is caged” was the most common thought.

Recently I got a chance to visit Nagpur and Ritu insisted I stayed with her. I would have denied her offer (since she stays with her in-laws), but accepting it would mean, saving on my hotel accommodation+ getting to play with her St Bernard. I simply accepted it.

Little did I know what was in store for me. I had the most wonderful time of my life in these 3 days. In Dinesh’s (Ritu’s beloved husband) words “3 Nights and 1 day” (Since 2 days, I was busy doing, what I actually went there for, “industrial visit”). Not only did I make wonderful friends, I also got to experience what it is to be like in the company of super rich yet down to earth people. I have had loads of filthy rich friends, but none of them with such humility and modesty.
Dinesh, his brother, mom and dad were the most humble people I have ever come across. They were so soft spoken that even if I whispered, I was the loudest. They were like one of those families where all the brothers of the family have bungalows in the same compound wall; where the whole family (joint) sits, eats, plays and work together; where a daughter-in-law is more loved and cherished than their son; every event (be it a b’day or a marriage) is celebrated whole heartedly, everyday is an occasion. In short, like one of those Rajshri Production movies. I was really happy for Ritu, because not only has she got the perfect (literally) husband, but also a wonderful family, who doesn’t even care if she can’t speak Marwadi or can’t cook.

All that a girl ever wants from her married life is that her husband should consider her family as his and love them equally, who respects her parents, talks to them more often than her, tells them that they haven’t lost a daughter but have got a son instead. Lucky Ritu, she’s got a husband like this. Apart from that, as a complimentary gift she also got a brother-in-law who is equally loving, friendly and affectionate. He is those kinds who never make you feel out of place (a little like me…;-))

I played, laughed, gossiped, watched movies, drove BMW, and fooled around. I got immense love from her family. Being the non- expressive person that I am, through this post I would wanna tell them what a wonderful time I had with them and wish for all prosperity in their lives. Also now I am finally relieved and can formally announce that “Ritu is in safe hands”. ;-)

No comments: