Thursday, July 30, 2009

It's all about Communication

I am missing Tina toady. It’s her birthday. Even though I shared my room with her only for 4 months, the time spent with her has become immortal. She was a mallu who could hardly speak hindi, hardly being an understatement. During our stay together my only ambition was to be able to converse with her in Hindi and her ambition being, converting me into a mallu. One of these times we went for a movie together.

Movies are communications they say. But that day I saw one, and the director failed to communicate anything to me. The heroine was pretty. The hero was a male version of Preety Zinta - chubby and energetic. And the movie was colorful. But that was all I could gather from the 22 reels shown to me.

When translated into English the movie meant - Two eyes. Ironically, that was exactly what it meant to me - visuals. Mere visuals, and nothing else.

I sat there like a just born baby, just going through the motions. I did not understand the language being used. The elders went about their job. A few laughed, a few cried, but it meant nothing to me. I was straight faced. Atleast till they announced the interval.

After five minutes of `good time` the movie started again. And again, as was expected, I was ignored.

Luckily, I had not paid for the tickets. Moreover, I was paid Rs 200, to be present for the movie. Actually, I had turned into a mercenary, for I was doing things I did not like, just for money.

With experience to back the long time belief I had held, I decided not to watch a malayalam movie, until I learnt the language.

But how do I learn the language? I went about asking Tina, and here is the advice as I got it - “Dude, watch a lot of malayalam movies, and in no time you will be able to comprehend the language.”
Yeah, Right!

2 comments:

Deepaish pall said...

well i would say she got the best of you hehe
nice one!!!

Srikanth said...

Hahaha !!
Very funny.. You want to learn malayalam.. call me!!

all you have to do is roll the l's and prolong the a's and whoa!! we have the lolla kuttys'