Monday, April 27, 2009

Those were the days

I was home for a long (really long) time… and when you are home for so long, after a certain point of time life gets boring. I mean, how much can you sleep or watch TV or walk your dog? So was my case. In the meanwhile, I thought of clearing up my old boxes.
I opened the first box and the first thing I saw, filled my heart with memories of my past. It was a slam book from my school (7th school out of 9 schools). It was signed by all my “good friends”, “bad friends”, “okay friends”, “hated friends” and “teachers” (that’s how I had categorized them). C’mon, we were kids and had no clue of maturity. Speaking of no maturity, those were the days when, without any rhyme or reason, a girl and a boy would be linked up for reasons like “They both blush when around each other”, “They both come in the same school bus”, “They both study together”, etc. And then, next thing you know, the girl would tie a Rakhi to the guy. That’s the reason half the school would remain empty on Raksha bandhan.
That was the time when everyone had a secret crush and would admire secretly. But when caught admiring, would pretend like it’s a huge misconception. They would then write his name in books (at least girls do that) and then play those games where you check your compatibility level (I think it’s called FLAMES). First crushes are always memorable. Even I had a “First crush” and then second, third, fourth, and don’t remember how many.
One of the most heartwarming belongings that I found in “The box of recollections” was my school diary. It had the school prayer printed on the first page, pledge on the second and some torn pages (I think those were the messages from my school teacher for my parents). It also had a daily “Time-Table” printed on the last page, out of which Games period, SUPW period and Lab sessions were highlighted and decorated. I remember how our preferences of days would depend on our time table. I always preferred Saturdays because we had 2 games period. We were supposed to wear PT shoes on days we had our games period. I would spend hours to neatly polish my shoes white, which would take just few hours on the play ground to get sunken under layers of dust (before even the assembly could begin) and no one would believe me when I stood in the “Untidy Uniform” line.
We had 2 such lines “Late comers” and “Wrong Uniform”, which included long nails, untidy uniform, wrong socks, wrong shoes, wrong belt, wrong ribbons, long hair not plated, short hair not clipped, etc. leaving no scope for me to escape. That’s the reason; first period was attended by just a handful while the rest of the students would be kneeling down in the sun. I started enjoying these sessions, when I was amongst the cabinet members and would punish students (even though none of the younger students ever listened to me). They would give me chocolates and I would let them go (of course, without getting it to Srikanth’s knowledge)
Talking about coming late to class, I also used to enjoy decorating the “Bulletin Board” and writing “Thought for the day”. That ways, I could waste another 15 minutes of class. By the ways, teachers always hated such students, who would take up such voluntary work. They always thought students did that to avoid attending their class. (I wonder what made them think that?)
I also found “My personal Diary” in the box. Which was so personal, that it had a “Danger” sign drawn on the cover. I would carry it with me everywhere till the time I realized how “kiddish” was the stuff written in it. It had all the names of people I knew, Things I liked about them, People I hated, along with reasons to hate them. One of the reasons, I hated a person was “Simply”. It also had some of my best moments and some of the worst moments. Apparently, my best moment was when I secured full marks in Social Studies and I hate watching, small puppies roaming on road without their mummies.
Then, during the end of every year, sale of autograph diaries would increase. People would start filling up each other’s diaries, like they are never gonna meet each other again. In some cases it would be true but in some it was just out of excitement of filling an autograph diary and feeling important. Everybody would fill up everybody’s’ diary (even if we had not spoken to each other) and then girls would group up and read what their secret crush had written in “About me”, “Hobbies”, “Best Friends”, “Lines about you”, “Why I like you”, “Why I dislike you”, etc. People would buy colorful pens to fill up diaries. Those were the best times.
Those were the times when we could hang out with friends for hours without realizing the time, but when it came to sitting with guests at home, our stomach would start aching. Those were the times when we could hear music from 20 blocks away but would become deaf to a yelling mom in the next room. Those were the times when “getting high” meant “ on a swing”, when “drinking” meant “apple juice”, when “dad” was the only “hero”, when “love” was “mom’s hug”, when “dad’s shoulder” was the “highest place on earth”, when your “worst enemy” was “your sibling”, when the only thing that could “hurt” were “skinned knees”, when the only things “broken” were your “toys”, when “goodbyes” only meant “till tomorrow”.
I found something interesting to put up here: Life means: A winter evening, four friends, mild rain, four cups of tea. Life means: Hundred bucks of petrol, two rusty old bikes, and one open road, Life means: Maggi noodles, a hostel room, 3:25 am. Life means: 1 preparatory leave, 1 night, 1 book and 8 duffers. Life means: 3 old friends, 3 separate cities, 3 coffee mugs and 1 internet messenger. Life means: 1 girl, 1 number, 4 friends and a fight.

11 comments:

hydeous said...

Life means : Sitting far far away and reminiscing all afternoon.

Deepali Jamwal said...

BTW... I was tempted to mention your name, but resisted myself... can u guess where???

S Praveen Kumar said...

Nice memories to carry! Felt really nice to read this... The last part was extremely good, finally I have seen someone writing about things which make life and not break life... Awesome

I always used to wonder "who was the one writing thought for the day".. so today I have my answer... Nice hand writing... :)

Deepali Jamwal said...

hehehe.... thanks... I used to love writing on board with a chalk. It gave such a teacherly feeling

Saima said...

Beautifully written dear :)

Unknown said...

very awesome... specially d last part...every lil bit u mentioned abt how simple things would mean just simple lil things... makes one think d innocence v had n v have now... so pure it was.. v were at our best whn v were kids!!!..
very beautifully written n expressed n keepin it so subtle...COOL!!

Unknown said...

Good reminiscences of the past and a good blog. I think every one remembers those days at school and colleges. As u grow older you start remembering the early days of your career, then when your early marriage days and so on. Life is never ending and so are your reminiscences. Good blog. Keep it up. Love u. Your dad & mom.

Deepaish pall said...

awesome blog Dj it just brought all my school days memories back and wow i just loved the last part the way you described what life meant in such simple manner makes one wonder how one can live life in the smallest and the best simple possible ways and still enjoy it.
Good One........

Srikanth said...

Very nice post.. Love the closing comments...

And when you were writing about the Wrong Uniform and late Comers, I was just waiting for my name to appear there.... :P

You have to mention that don't you?? Didn't I give you chocolates every time you were punished by me?

And I think I know where Keshav fits in this post...

Deepali Jamwal said...

Oh!!! It couldn't be complete without mentioning you. Obviously, I am not gonna write abt the chocolate part of it. That makes you a gud guy. And in my blog, I am the only good person... lol

Tabitha said...

Hey Deepali...Thanks 4 stopping by :)...Read few of ur posts....Really nice....Keep it going...take care