Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Dance pe Chance

Today my next session of Shiamak begins. Tuesdays and Thursday are the 2 days I enjoy the most. Not only because we get our reimbursements on that day but also because I get to do what I am most passionate about- Dance.


I have been dancing since I was just 3 years old. I started off dancing to the tune of my mother, and by 10 when I got beyond her control…my father took over and gave me the tune to dance to. Around 15, I was dancing to the tune of my teachers at school… and so on. And now I dance to the tune of Shiamak Davar. I am glad, I have been able to preserve a few things that I have cherished as a kid (including my old torn blue jeans), one being: my passion for dance.


I don’t want to sound too self obsessed, and I swear I didn’t make this up. Once a girl actually came upto me and said “Ma’am you are the goddess of dance”. I wanted to go back in the past and record her sentence, make a small tape or something out of it, which I can hang around my neck all the time. And also put up the pictures of all the prizes I have bagged with the comments of each and every jury member. (And yet I don’t have an ego ;-)


The problem with me is that I always want to be in the front row, seen by the audience and applauded. In all my group performances, I have always been placed in the stage center (Mind you- I am not the one who decides positions). And yet, every time I begin a new session with new instructors and new faces around, I fear if I’ll get center position this time? Its like a nightmare “Will the instructor be able to spot me amongst all those pretty faces?” Two days before starting a new session, I start to get Goosebumps. I also dreamt once that I was performing in filmfare, with Shahid Kapoor, but was placed in the 4th row. I started to sweat and immediately woke up. It was the worst nightmare ever. (For those who do not dance, will never know how does it feel like not to be noticed while dancing, especially after your dad has told everybody that “My daughter is better than all the Dancing Divas”).


I am in the same turmoil right now. My 1st class of new session, new instructor, new students, will the instructor be able to recognize my talent and give me the position I own? Well, one thing that is commendable about Shaimak is, they don’t place you according to your looks. (else I would be somewhere behind the side screens)


Lets see what happens: fingers crossed

2 comments:

rajoojamwal said...

I am sure u will be right in the center this time also. Knowing ur talent u will be. Love. ur dad.

shifali said...

And you would be great in new class too! All the best. Lemme know how it was.