Tuesday, April 16, 2019

It is not okay to exploit artists!


Every so often I get a call from some organizers telling me about this fantastic opportunity to perform until…
 “Unfortunately, we don’t have a budget, but you’ll get a lot of exposure”

Or the dreaded…

“It’s a ticketed event and the performers are required to pay”


Why do organizers think that it’s okay to exploit the performers by not only NOT compensating them in some ways, but even worse – asking them to pay to perform?


Those who’ve been around me know how I feel about that. “Performers probably put in more effort than the organizers themselves to enhance the quality of their show. Asking them to pay to perform is shameful

Few things make me angrier than people trying to take advantage of artists. However, that's a rant for another day.

Asking someone to work "for the exposure" or “pay to perform” is not only insulting, it's false advertising. If you can't even offer a small stipend or a fair exchange of goods or services, you should be clear about exactly what you're looking for: a donation.

Image result for perform for exposure

Being an artist all my life, I have stood up for better treatment of artists and recognizing them for their talent and effort. Be it a photographer, or a busker or a dancer, I have fought hard with every organization that I’ve been involved with to not only treat artists as volunteers, but also offer a fair exchange of goods or services in return. It is quintessential that we recognize and respect them for their effort and talent that they bring. After all, they are adding value to your events and enhancing the quality of your show.



It is not cool to be asking performers to make a 2-hour round trip commute, pay for costumes and props, pay for gas and parking, take hours out of their days preparing for the act, pay for studio rentals, and then ask them to PAY TO PERFORM. Especially, when the event is charging $$$ per ticket. It doesn’t feel great, and like I said earlier, it’s insulting.

Let me get this straight, you want me to diminish the hard work, time, money, resources I’ve put into developing my art, so I can help you make YOUR event successful. Do you not see the irony?

At Live2dance, we work extremely hard to build our brand. Our performances involve a lot of hard work, sweat, blood, tears and hour of practice. We perform at various events across the city. Some for-profit and some not for profit. We do not expect these organizations to compensate us for our efforts, because we understand how difficult it can get for some organizations to cover up their costs, let alone pay their performers. However, some organizations who truly realize the value of their performers insist on paying us in exchange of goods and services. We get gift cards, donations to our preferred charities, bouquets, cards or a token of appreciation very often. Those are the organizations that we truly enjoy performing for.



I am not trying to set a precedence here by standing up in support of artists who are asked to perform “in exchange of exposure” or are required to pay to perform. My goal is to bring my perspective on front of these organization and make them understand what it really takes to be an artist.

It is thrilling to be asked to perform. Yes, that’s true, but it’s also hard work that brought that opportunity to us. Our consistent, vigilant practicing, performing, marketing, strategic networking, etc.

It’s not about the money. It’s about principals and treating performers right.

So next time you reach out to me for a “great opportunity” that I wouldn’t want to miss and will get me exposure, however, it requires me to pay to perform, I’ll be directing you to this page. Hopefully, you’ll get my point.

No comments: