Wednesday, April 7, 2010

When I started Gyming!!!

I realized I was a fitness freak when our dad took me and my sister (aged 16 and 14 respectively, back then) to one of the typical Army Gym behind Officers’ Mess. For my non -army background friends (somehow calling them civilians is derogatory), an Officers Mess is not the place simply meant to dine. Here same set of people partied every single night, leaving their kids locked up in the TV room with one sahayak bhaiya to watch them over while they played tambola and ate chicken.

Coming back to the topic, our dad took us to gym for the first time. My sister and I went berserk on seeing the treadmill and such fancy equipments (even though most of them were rusted). Since my running shoes were still wet from last evening when I tried to wash them white for today, I had to wear my black leather school shoes to jog on the treadmill.

After 2 hours well spent on cycling, dumbles, treadmill and walker, we realized that in our excitement we had forgotten lunch. Since Shanu refused to get off the fitness equipment, food was ordered from mess (one place where we could buy food merely by signing the slips, which we later realized were sent to our dad for payment. That’s when we stopped treating our friends). It was only after 4 hours when we agreed to get off the treadmill and anyways in the 4 hours of running we had realized that in a treadmill you only run and run and run and run and go nowhere!

Our intensity didn’t come down next day either, which was a Sunday and we left home early to hit the gym. On Monday we hired Professional Movers & Packers to pack and transport us to our school.

According to my Physical Education teacher (who thought the World is flat… it is another thing that the football field was his World)… it takes more than 12 hours for lactic acid to form in overworked muscles. It happened a little sooner for us. Half way through the day my legs started paining. I couldn’t move a muscle and had to sit in class even while all my friends played basket ball. I tried looking occupied with my studies since exams were approaching. Maybe that’s why the authorities thought what a sincere kid I was and awarded me “The studious student” award. Parag nearly killed me for that since he worked hard to bag that one. It’s only when I explained him the mishap did he understand and let go. Next day onwards I saw him gymming- that is working out in Gym – (it is an equivalent of ‘Googling’) everyday.

9 comments:

Abhijit said...

Ha ha..I really like the thought flow in ur blogs.its so simple and down to earth...Jus love em!!Hope i get an extra gulab jamun for ur wedding in return...Or rather no!!I guess i shd start gymming instead of asking food as return gifts..Keep smilin :D

Deepali Jamwal said...

@Abhijit: I was floored by your compliment until I read it was all for a gulab jamun? shattered!!!
But hey! thanks for being my regular visitor. I'll surely treat you extra on my wedding.

praveena said...

Nice post Deepali...I enjoyed reading it. So now I know the secret of ur washboard abs!

Btw are u still gymming?

praveena said...

hey u posted this at 3.35 am in the mornin...when do u sleep?

Deepali Jamwal said...

@Praveena: nahi yaar! somehow my blog registers only US timings...;-)

Yup am still going strong on the gymming front. post regarding dat is up soon... keep visiting :-)

Srikanth said...

Extra Gulab Jamuns for mee too!! I'll say the nicest things to you!! Although, I am so overcome by emotions after reading your blog that I am lost for words right now!! :P

I'll even run all the extra rounds I made you run in school... :D

ashish@greatwhitenorth said...

hmm....on the contrary, I remember my folks allowing me to go to a gym after 12th Std. only when they were sure I had appeared for every possible engg entrance exam!! Being exhausted mentally, I think the physical work turned into another boner :-)!! Jealous and tearful after going through your happy experience at the gym and frustrated by all that good luck you had around it.......very well compiled though!!

provoqd said...

well well....another blogger another post...but what memories shared.....i guess ur 8Km walk to home deserves a mention in this post...thats a long distance considering the fact its a return journey frm work...(applauses) Well done....keep it up.....

Anonymous said...

Lol...sahi hey!! hilarious life is na? :D
The gym is one place of no destination where one runs n reaches nowhere..rightly pointed! :)
loved the post...keep "gymming"! ;)