Wednesday, December 2, 2009

My farewell speech

I have never given a farewell speech but have always wondered how it would feel to give one. When Girika (Name changed to keep identity intact) was delivering her farewell speech, a series of questions kept racing my mind. Does she really mean what she is saying? Why the hell is she so thankful to her boss, the same boss who had made her life miserable here and is the reason behind her resignation? Does she realize that she is never going to see these people again in her life and this could be the only chance to outburst all the lava inside?

And now it was my turn. I had made up my mind to speak the truth and nothing else (unless somebody asked me about my age). The moment arrived. Everybody gathered in the conference hall and had laid down goodies to eat on the table, which included the chocolate balls that I had specially asked Binoy to order.

All eyes were set on me, and it was understood that they wanted me to speak first. I took a long, deep breath and the words came out of my mouth:

“Please pardon me if I choke with emotions, since I am very depressed about leaving this place… But to tell you the truth…” That is when my eyes whiz passed a big pack kept behind the table wrapped in shiny gift paper. This looked like my farewell gift. I had just three seconds to decide. I could either speak the truth and let the gift (which could be a diamond necklace wrapped in a big box) slip away from my hands or be sugar coated for the last time and win the gift for myself. I could do the second option since I have had 24 years of experience in that. So I continued:

“… this being my first work place will always be very close to my heart. I have loved and enjoyed every moment working with people here. It did take some time for this fact to dawn my senses that I’ll be moving out of this place. And I think it will take some time for me to fully recover from the tragedy.

I have learnt a lot here. This is one place where I could multi task. I could chat, be on the phone and check out those really funny forwards sent by Charmaine. And of course work at the same time”. That is when I heard someone say, “Yeah right!” But I ignored that and continued.

“There will be no more mini breaks near the coffee machine, no more gossip sessions, no more heated arguments at the lunch table on which is better ‘Police or Army’, because without a doubt Army is better. There will be no more loitering outside office to soak some heat, no more watching movies in office hours (not that we did that much) and of course, no more exchanging movies and ‘Big Bang Theory’ seasons.”

“It is a blessing to have a boss who is more of a friend. It really made my life easy here.” By this time I was already choking with emotions. That’s the time when I realized that I was, for real, leaving and this was my farewell. I’ll not be working here anymore. I was sad by this moment and was really going to miss this place.

“On a serious note, this was a wonderful place to work. And as I join Ahmedabad office, I’ll envy you all. Also, if anyone ever happens to visit Ahmedabad, please do let me know. I’ll be more than glad to host you all.” Though I don’t understand why I said the last sentence.

This was my farewell speech, which was followed by an even more senti speech by my boss and then an elongated snacks session. So elongated, that by now, the excitement to open my gift was dying. Finally people left me and my gift alone. I loved the 4 shirts that were inside the packet.

All in all, my last day in office was one of the best ones.

5 comments:

rajoojamwal said...

I am happy at last u learnt to give a farewell speech. U will have to give many more in times to come adn hence it is a good start. Keep up the good wk.
Love u

hydeous said...

When I quit my first job, I said to my manager "I'm quitting" and he said "OK"

zindadil777 said...

AWWWW....Dats sweet....
Kindly also write about wat yor speech wud have been if the gift wasnt there.... ;)

shifali said...

So much for the diamond necklace huh?

You talking about feelings. Eating food. Getting gifts. Everyone praising you. And no work. Of course it had to be your best day!

Srikanth said...

@ Deepali
what happened to your true feelings at the beginning of the post..
a lot of ppl from your work place read this blog, don't they??

@ keso
i think the whole world with exception of you and me cannot finish a conversation like this in less than four words.. :P